November 13, 2013

Faux Antler Wreath


MAKE IT YOURSELF

I recently spotted a faux antler wreath on Pinterest. I followed the link and ended up at Restoration Hardware. Priced at $299.00 and probably worth every penny, but way out of my budget, was this amazing, statement decor, cast of resin. Granted my version isn't as pristine but for about $10 it's a fairly decent knock-off.

Antlers are on trend right now and my extremely limited budget does not allow for splurges like this one. However, I figured I could create something similar using clay. It would take an awful lot of Sculpey or Premo and so I sought after an even less expensive alternative. Browsing my local craft store I asked an associate what my options were. She directed me to the Crayola Model Magic. I bought the container that had 4 packages of solid white model magic and only used one-and-a-half of the packages in the box. So it goes a long way. If you decide to create your own in the size I've done, you'll only need to purchase two of the individual packages and not the big box.


The Model Magic is inexpensive and really easy to work with and mold. A couple downsides would be that it takes 72+ hours to dry and it cracks easily so you need to be careful.


I've displayed it on my chalkboard wall, hanging from a thin gold ribbon, in the kitchen. I want to add a few more holiday/winter touches to this wall in the near future. Right now we're in the middle of painting our living room, finishing up slipcovers and also having custom shelving units installed in my office.

That said, my house is in disarray which drives me crazy and makes it tough for me to focus. I hope we get it all completed asap so I can decorate for Christmas.

Linked up at 36th Avenue & Craftberry Bush.

Thanks for reading!

13 comments:

  1. This is amazing Jenn!! I love everything you do... I have followed you for a while now but I just wanted to tell you how much I love your blog! Keep creating and sharing your creativity with us :) - Holly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! That means a lot!!

      Delete
  2. I absolutely LOVE this! This is gorgeous. Pinned :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous! I am super impressed! You did such a good job. And I am so glad to have found your lovely blog! I would love it if you linked this up to the Handmade Holiday link party on my blog: http://persialou.blogspot.com/2013/11/handmade-holiday-link-party.html Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so cool! I love it when people get crafty to problem solve!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is gorgeous! I am a huge fan of the deer heads and antlers (fake of course!) you did a stunning job!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Absolutely beautiful! Pinning!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing! Pinning and sharing on my FB page today! I'm so glad I found your blog ;)
    Hugs,
    Jamie @ somuchbetterwithage.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. where are the instructions please?

    ReplyDelete
  9. So beautiful! What an awesome idea!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Where did you get the mold to make the antlers?

    ReplyDelete
  11. That vignette is gorgeous! I love the antlers tooooooo!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!

Related Posts with Thumbnails