October 25, 2012

Vulnerability


I'm in the process of updating my blog and a few other things here. In hopes I'll start to write on a regular basis. I took out my watercolor paper and pencils and was playing around a bit. I really love the unpredictability of watercolors. You can't control every stroke the way you can with acrylics or oils and that to me is so beautiful.

Onto the subject at hand... I recently read an article either on a blog or in a magazine, I honestly don't remember where. The article was about success and vulnerability. Vulnerability being listed as a trait that successful people have.

I got to thinking about it and I believe it to be true. Vulnerability can be a beautiful thing but is also something I sorely lack. The last thing I want to do is to put myself out there and fail. I am a very guarded person and never let my hair down so to speak. To actually launch forward with an idea, a product, a design in a big way is scary to me and the 'what if's' start coming.

What if I spend all kinds of time developing something that goes nowhere? That's time stolen from my family. What if I fall flat on my face? What if they don't like me? What if I spend all this money on supplies and I can't sell my wares? What if, what if, what if.... and then there's what if I do succeed? Where will the finances come from to take it to the next level? We're in unsettling economic times. And then there's, who can I trust to take the same care with my designs as I do?

A few months back I had an England based company send me an email saying they would be interested in selling my bike basket liners. I didn't move forward with it as of yet because honestly I don't even know where I'd begin to fill inventory. I can't even keep up with my little Etsy shop.

Last year I had someone ask to feature a project of mine in a upcoming eBook they were producing. I was going to move on that but changed my mind because I wasn't sure how legit it was and then recently saw the publication and it was legit. I could kick myself.

The world wide web is a vast place and meeting people through it is wonderful but I want to make sure that if there is a deal made it is with authentic, honest individuals. How do you know?

Deciding whether I will allow myself to be vulnerable is tough. That means really putting myself, my designs, my wares out there and taking a chance.

By the way, thanks for reading. I know I've been very bad about having something to say or feature on a regular basis.

4 comments:

  1. I TOTALLY understand Jenn! I have the same thoughts. I get offers too via the web and I too struggle with knowing what to say "yes" to and what to say "no" to. I also struggle with being vulnerable - especially on my blog. I do know that whatever you do, you will succeed! You are so very talented. Love ya friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well it's tough advice to take, but if you don't someone else will. You have a great idea/product with the liners so maybe you could explore the options with that company. Time to raise the price on those liners I think, if you want to expand on that. All a matter of what you want to do. You are diverse and that isn't a bad thing to be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just found your blog through pinterest on your yarn feathers, they are so cute! Just started following and can't wait to see more!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for following Tereza!

      Delete

I love comments!

Related Posts with Thumbnails