June 5, 2012

My Suburban Garden

Hello. I've been sharing a handful of plant and garden posts as of late and was recently inspired by Jennifer Rizzo's Garden Linky Party so I decided I'd share a little walk through my suburban landscape.

This happens to be the front yard with a Crepe Myrtle front and center. When that begins to bloom later this summer it really adds some beautiful color and a nice contrast to the blue reblooming hydrangeas. I've also got vines planted at the base of my front porch. If they do what they've done each year for me they will wrap around all four porch columns.

The divine Reblooming Hydrangea.

Behind the hydrangeas I've got tiger grass. There's another one of these striped grasses on the opposite side of the house planted with the limelight hydranges. Those are not in bloom yet but they will be soon.


Here's another angle...

On the opposite side of the porch I've got orange asiatic lilies planted. Each year they multiply and eventually I'll split them and add these to another area of our landscape.

Right behind the lilies my "secret weapon" aka "Handsome Hubby" recently planted a Golden Shrimp plant. I have no knowledge on these other than they are tropical.

I was assured it would get to about 3-4' tall and fill out with gorgeous yellow blooms that attract hummingbirds. I sure hope so. I'm going to be watching closely.


Walk with me to the back yard where we recently installed an arbor. What I fell in love with about this arbor are the lanterns that are hanging on each side. I can't wait to put candles in them at night. The arbor was supposed to be installed near the side walk. The handsome hubby installed this while I was in the shower and when I came downstairs he proudly showed me his work only to have it in the wrong place. He assures me it's easy to move. 


I will eventually plant some climbing roses. hopefully in an apricot or coral shade ...and coming soon a pathway with the arbor as the back yard entrance. The Japanese Maple planted alongside the deck is the best landscape purchase we made. It has provided much needed privacy and I am forever grateful for that. I've also got English Ivy growing underneath that needs to be cut back at least a couple times a year. It is a very vigorous and hardy grower.

The yellow reblooming lilies are alongside the driveway and planted with grasses that will have pink plumes in late summer some first year peonies (didn't do much of anything this year), red Knockout Roses and new to the bed some pink Bee Balm.


On the other side of the driveway/back yard this is the view...


A Knockout Rose, Tigers Eye and Lavender peaking out from behind them. I love the chartreuse green leaves on the Tigers Eye and how beautifully it contrasts with everything else in the landscape. I have two of these and they are usually so lush and full but this year they did not fill out like they have in previous years. I think it might have something to do with the warmer than normal spring and then a cold snap. I hope next year they return to their regularly scheduled program.

Last year I bought a half dozen of these Joe Pie Weeds off of HSN or QVC I don't remember which one. There were a variety of colors in the package however the only ones to return are the two orange. I like the bright pop of color and I like that it's a perennial but I wish they would have all returned.

The Joe Pie Weed resides right underneath my second Tigers Eye shown in the photo below.

We've done the majority of our own landscaping, learning along the way and having to move stuff around because the shrub or plant had outgrown it's original space or because the sun was to strong on that particular side of the house. When take the time to walk around the yard and when I look at these pictures I'm pretty satisfied with our work. There's always room for improvement and I'm always trying to find space for a new variety of flower or shrub. I'd like to plant something at the base of the Crepe Myrtle in the back yard. Any suggestions from avid gardeners and growers in blog land?

When the other plants in the yard start showing their colors I'll post some new photo's.

Until then, thank you for visiting.

1 comment:

  1. Your home is gorgeous!! Do you mind telling us what suburban community you live in?

    Also love all your sewing ideas. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!

Related Posts with Thumbnails