April 5, 2012

A Walk to the Garden


Spring is certainly showing its signs all around us with the tulips opening up...

and the lilacs in bloom...
However, I'm a bit sad because my lilacs don't have many blooms this year and I'm not sure what to do to change that. I had high hopes for these when I bought four bushes several years ago but they haven't done as well as I had hoped. Any tips from avid lilac enthusiasts?

A little nest was tucked in our holly bush which by the way had lots of bees buzzing about. Brave birds and I'm sure all that activity along with the prickly leaves acts as a safety net for them and their babies.

The littles stumbled upon a stray kitty down by the garden. They fell in love with him and he fell in love with them. Although I have to say he was quite friendly to be a stray but no collar and he's not neutered.

We discovered all of this on our walk to the garden and then we had to get to work and take care of our vegetable plants. The kids love watering the plants. They usually fight over the watering can but here they worked together so I had to get a photo.

The broccoli and radishes seem to be doing well...





The swiss chard is finally starting to get a bit of size to it...


The snow peas aren't big enough to start climbing but they have shown signs of some growth...

2 comments:

  1. My black and white tulips are so beautiful I wish they would last much much longer. As for the lilacs, our tree is not very nice because it has single ... (blossoms, is it called?) instead of the double I grew up with. It looks sparse because of it - could that be it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Black and white tulips sound spectacular. I'm not sure what's wrong with my lilacs. I've gotten a lot more blooms in past years. This year however it's slim pickings. Maybe I need to buy a certain kind of fertilizer.

      Delete

I love comments!

Related Posts with Thumbnails