March 20, 2012

Let The Gardening Begin

I picked these up at Target this past weekend. They're not in the shoe section. You can find them in the gardening section of the store. Aren't they cute? I bought the little slogger gardening shoes last year and though they are great my socks would get filthy so I went for it and bought some boots this year. I LOVE THEM! They're not bulky and they don't slip off my heel which makes it so easy to walk and work.

So this is what I've got going so far.
This is a Russian Heirloom tomato. I picked up a packet from my local home & garden store and thought I'd give it a try. I really want to grow Cherokee, Mr. Stripey and Brandy Yellow but I didn't order my seeds on time. I hope the farm/nursery just down the road from me has them available in a few weeks. I won't be starting them from seed but hopefully I'll enjoy they're yummy tomato goodness anyways. I also have a few roma and some big hybrid slicing tomatoes in the mix.

The peppers are just now starting to pop through the soil. I'm growing jalapeno and green bell.

Arugula is considered an herb but it happens to be my favorite green to use for salads and on sandwiches. Oh so yummy and easy to grow. These were seeds from last year that I had in my stash and they popped up in no time at all. I've got this in a cedar box on my deck. In a few weeks we'll be enjoying it.

Here comes the spinach. Little slower then the arugula but my little crop should be ready in a few weeks as well.

Can you say pesto? and caprese salad?


The thyme popped up quickly. I love the smell of thyme and it's so nice to put little bundles of it in the slow cooker with a roast on Sundays.

Lavender has such a lovely fragrance. I started these a bit late. I also tried to grow these outside of the greenhouse on my window sill and they never germinated. Then I read the seed packet. They need to be put on top the seed starting mix and lightly pressed down but not covered. They need light to germinate. So this batch, in the greenhouse, with the extra warmth, and the light are germinating and popping up. I would love to line my yard with lavender. When you walk by it it emits such a beautiful scent and the bees just LOVE it!

The dill reseeded itself from last year.

The parsley wintered over very nicely and it's actually spreading.

Our blueberry bushes are already starting to bud. We moved two potted blueberry bushes and put them in the ground and then added two more blueberry plants to the lineup. I'm not expecting a huge harvest this year but I'm hoping in the next two to three years I'll be able to pick enough at one time for a pie. Of course I do know it will be a battle with the birds and my kids.

I also started some moon flowers again. I love these beautiful 15 ft + vines. The flowers are huge, gorgeous and fragrant.

I've also sowed some hyacinth bean vine seeds but they have yet to germinate.

In our raised bed garden I have a couple rows of radishes, swiss chard, broccoli, cauliflower, snow peas and green onions. These are all "cold weather" crops—BUT—we've had an unseasonably warm spring so I'm worried they will go to seed before we're able to enjoy the harvest. We shall see what happens.

Thanks for stopping by Blue Sky Confections!

2 comments:

  1. I ruined my tomato and melon seedlings by first keeping them inside with too little sun so that they molded and then forgetting them outside in a frost overnight. So I have to start from scratch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww.... It def. is a balancing act but I'm sure you'll have some wonderful, thriving plants when it's all said and done. Happy planting!

      Delete

I love comments!

Related Posts with Thumbnails