February 20, 2012

Make Your Own Crocheted Bangle

With a few basic crochet skills you can make your very own unique bangle bracelet. I taught myself how to crochet using a couple of books, a handy little crochet guide and some helpful youtube.com tutorials. You can too!

Here's another angle of the same bangle. Hey that rhymes!
Because it is a bangle that will jostle around your wrist while wearing it I thought there should be crocheted flowers and leaves all the way around. I used bamboo ewe yarn by Stitch Nation because I thought it would be one of the softest up against the skin all day.

I re-purposed an old door hanger ring. It had little gold bells hanging from it and I put it on our front door at Christmas. Of course the kids seeing that on the door were tempted daily to mess with it until it was in pieces. Yes, in pieces. Do your kids mess with your decorations? I don't want to wish away their youth but I am looking forward to my home decor staying intact. I give it another year or two and they'll be tall enough to attack everything at counter height. Right now doorknobs are just about eye level.

To make your own crocheted cuff—wrap the yarn around the ring making sure to pull it snug. I had to go around twice in order to fill in a few small gaps here and there. Then tie it tightly in a spot you plan to add a flower or leaf. That way all tiny knots are concealed. Once your bangle is fully prepped crochet as many flowers and leaves as you'd like in different sizes to add dimension and variety. When your flowers are ready use a darning needle and attach each piece in different spots to hold them in place for a long time to come.

Do you have anything you can repurpose and use as a bracelet base? If not, I bet you can find a set of plastic bangles at a dollar store.

Sharing this project at Brassy Apple, Skip to my Lou, Craft O Maniac, I Should Be Mopping The Floor & The 36th Avenue.

Thanks for stopping by Blue Sky Confections!

3 comments:

  1. This is stunning, Jenn!! I am in awe of your creativity & the fact that you used an old door ring. That's so smart. Would be delighted for you to link up with us at Mop It Up Mondays: http://www.ishouldbemoppingthefloor.com/2012/02/mop-it-up-mondays-4.html

    Have a great week!
    {HUGS},
    kristi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kristi! I just linked up and added your button to my "Join The Soirées" page. I'm going to check out your blog further as it seems we share some similar likes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this! How inventive to re-use a door hanger ring too. Cool!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!

Related Posts with Thumbnails