November 7, 2011

Apple-Blackberry Pie

...with a white cheddar, lattice crust.

I'm doing some recipe testing for Thanksgiving. I want to make some amazing desserts this year. I love really beautifully presented pies and cakes when I see them in all the home & lifestyle magazines. This recipe came from the November issue of Southern Living.

Preparing the apples was much different than a typical apple pie. The recipe called for large wedges and I always slice my apples as thinly as possible. It also called for sauteing them in butter before adding them into the crust.

The white cheddar in the crust recipe made it so easy to roll out and cut the strips for the lattice pattern for the top crust. I usually find myself struggling with the crust because it's all butter and it sticks to everything and if you don't work quickly begins melting. So I roll it in cling wrap or parchment paper.

I really loved the apple filling with the 2 cups of blackberries. It adds a wonderfully unexpected twist. The white cheddar crust is an acquired taste and if I make the crust again it will be pared with something savory rather than sweet. This apple-blackberry pie is definitely worth making again but with the simple pate brisee crust.

Thanks for stopping by Blue Sky Confections!

Jenny K.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds delish and looks beautiful! I love eating cheese with apple pie so the crust sounds really good to me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the idea of adding the blackberries to the pie. Nice.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!

Related Posts with Thumbnails