October 17, 2011

The Virginia State Fair


We've been incredibly busy this past month. I'm sure everyone has. The weather has been wonderful and we've tried to pack in as much autumn fun possible. A visit to the Virginia State Fair was in order and because we purchased passes in advance we were able to attend whenever we wanted — so we went twice! The first time our oldest met a friend and enjoyed the carnival rides while we took our youngest two to check out the agricultural exhibits. That's my favorite part. Every exhibitor is so proud of the animals they've brought to the fair. I remember that feeling.

When I was a kid I had a pony named Nancy that I brought to the fair with my 4-H group. She wasn't a fancy pony but she was mine and that alone made me so happy. She was a black and white, Welsh. She was stubborn but I was still thrilled to be able to stand beside her in the barn while passers-by asked to pet her. I would tell them her name and then let them know I'd be riding her in the 4-H shows while grinning ear-to-ear. I would have slept in that barn if they would have let me.

So when my oldest had the opportunity to participate in the Hunt Fun Show with the farm that she takes lessons at I jumped at the chance to allow her. This is memory-making at it's finest!


Here she is riding Christmas Belle in the pole-bending course. No. English riding does not typically have pole-bending but this was strictly a FUN show! She took second place and there were 7 or 9 girls. I don't remember. She also took home a first in the "Lucky Buck Ride". That's where you put a dollar bill under each thigh and then ride in the ring doing what the instructors tell you, all the while trying your best not to lose your money. Whoever keeps their "Lucky Bucks" the entire course wins all the money. She didn't lose her bucks and because of that won all the bucks. I was a proud momma!

Thanks for stopping by Blue Sky Confections!

Jenny K.

1 comment:

  1. How fun! Congrats to Olivia - loved the video!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!

Related Posts with Thumbnails