September 6, 2011

Paper Plates & Cookie Sprinkles Wreath Tutorial

Are you interested in making this wreath?
Yeah! I'm flattered that you like my idea! Follow the step by step tutorial below.

Supply List:
50 white paper plates (give or take a few, it's going to depend on how tight you make your flowers)
grapevine wreath form (I used a JoAnns 50% off coupon I paid $2.50 +tax)
2-3 cups of coffee (plus a bit extra for yourself)
craft glue
small bowl
small inexpensive paint brush
cookie sprinkles
hot glue gun & glue sticks
ribbon of your choosing
large dish for coffee
cookie sheet
candle

Step 1:
This is going to give the paper plate flowers an antiqued or aged look. Soak each plate in coffee, ball it up so it gets lots of wrinkles and then flatten it out on your newspaper surface and let it dry so it's not dripping. Then transfer the plates to some sort of drying rack. I used my mini greenhouse and it worked perfectly. Now you wait until they dry completely.

Step 2:
Cut each plate into spirals. These do not have to be perfect. It's actually nicer to have each spiral a bit different. It helps create a nice variation in each flower.

Once all the spirals have been cut you can proceed to the burning step. Please use extreme caution when doing this. I set up a little work station using a large cookie sheet where I put the candle and the water dish. That way any melting wax or burnt paper fell on the cookie sheet rather than my counter. Start with the outside of your spiral and work your way to the center making sure to keep on the section of the paper that you're burning near the flame.The plates burn really fast so it's best to have a dish of water right next to the candle to extinguish the flame quickly. I actually found that dipping it in the water once I saw the edge that I wanted was better than trying to blow the flame out. Blowing it out created a very smokey environment. Dipping the paper in the water extinguished the flame immediately with very little smoke.

Step 3:
Now you've got all these gorgeous spirals with burnt edges and it's time to assemble the flowers. I found that the easiest way for me was to pour the craft glue into a small dish and then use a paint brush to spread the glue. I started with the center and added some of the sticky stuff and then proceeded to work outward. You can roll these as tightly or as loosely as you like. It's really nice to have a variety and it makes it easier once you start building the wreath. You will have areas that need a small flower and areas that need a large flower.

Just keep on working until all 50 flowers are assembled. I will warn you that this is a messy process and the burnt edges do crumble a bit and fall to the floor. If you're like me and you've got kidlets running through your mess, keep a vacuum nearby and suck up the burnt pieces periodically. ;) That will keep them from being tracked through the house.


Step 4:
Adding the cookie sprinkles and building the wreath. Add your ribbon to the wreath form and hang it somewhere that you can easily attach your flowers. It's so much quicker to build and get proportionally correct when it's at eye level. I used the same paint brush and the same craft glue to dab a little design in the center of each flower and then pour in the cookie sprinkles. I used last years Wilton, halloween, variety container. This is optional. You can leave the flowers as is and build the wreath. I think they are just as pretty without the added color. Once you've got all the flowers ready you can begin gluing them on to the wreath form using hot glue. Make sure you mix up the flower sizes. That keeps it more interesting.

Voila! The ready to hang wreath.

But wait... you can embellish it however you like. I added a spider charm and formed the word "eek" out a couple silver pipe cleaners to hang in the center of the wreath. I also added the verbiage "Welcome To Our Web" using some scrapbook paper and sticker letters on the bottom right. The top left I used the same scrapbook paper with cardboard letters that I painted black. I wish I would have used the word "boo" instead of "eek" twice. I also attached some black trim to the paper using my sewing machine. Embellish yours however you like and make it your own! Make a Christmas wreath or next spring you can create some gorgeous flowers using pink, green and yellow cookie sprinkles. Paper plates can be quite versatile and lets face it, you can't eat off of those things. They're way to flimsy for that.

All the scrapbook paper and the charm I won from a favorite blog of mine last October. I wanted to make these. April did an amazing job with the paper collection and I was so inspired but when I received the collection I only had a couple days and decided I'd save the paper and trimmings for this year. I want to do the "You've Been Boo'd" neighborhood thing. That's when you leave treats at your neighbors door with a little memo, ring the doorbell and run as fast as you can. They'll never know it was me! :~) I hope to share that project with all of you in the coming months. For now you can gather inspiration from "Sauviloquy". Her creativity is boundless!


So thrilled to be featured at "The 36th Avenue" on 09/09/11!!! I found her blog a couple months ago and have admired her ever since. Fabulous creativity! If I could figure out how to add her button I would but I'm having trouble.

Shout out at "Tatertots and Jello". Woo Hoo!

Thanks for stopping by Blue Sky Confections!

Jenny K.

42 comments:

  1. what an interesting and very creative post! i happened to find your blog through a mutual 'follower', i love everything i have seen so far, especially your blog design!

    keep those creative juices flowin, and great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love all of the wreaths that you make, this one is a new fav! thanks for sharing the tutorial, a must do for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so creative, and I think I could do this. I love the way it looks all finished with the Eek. So cute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I just really love this! This was such an easy to follow tutorial I might give it a whirl.

    Thank you so very much for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jenny...

    I am featuring your wreath today...

    I am actually making the post right now. Make sure you visit later and button-up!

    Eek!

    ReplyDelete
  6. awesome fall wreath this is super!

    come link this up to scrappy saturdays @ candacecreations.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just saw you on The 36th Avenue and fell completely in love with your wreath! Now that I'm here I'm following completely in love with your whole blog! I'll definitely be following you from now on! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This look is soooo "cool"...thanks for sharing it!

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is really beautiful. I'll have to remember that technique. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Outstanding! LOVE it on your door too. So original!

    Donna
    http://funkyjunkinteriors.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. i love how original this is! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It really is fantastic! So creative...I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So freakin cute! I love this! Perfect little wreath for Halloween :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. what a fabulous way of using paper plates! I love the cookie sprinkles too :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. Okay! Now this looks like fun. Would def give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just saw your wreath on TT&J. LOVE it. Cookie sprinkles?! Who would have thought?! Love the burnt edges, too. I didn't notice the awesome sparkly "eek" until I looked through your post here. So cute. :) Have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  17. what an original, fun wreath! I love how it looks :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. It takes a lot to wow me, and you have done it. Your wreath is the first thing I've pinned in Pinterest. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ohhh my goodness I just adore your wreath and what a wonderful tutorial to boot! Thank you so much for linking up to the crafty scrappy happy party that I co hosted with Lucy from craftberry bush this week! I am so excited to "meet" you and I will for sure be following and looking forward to being inspired by you---- :o) I would LOVE if you would keep linking up!!!!
    Jaime from Crafty Scrappy Happy

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is so interesting and so very inventive,the true work of a creative genius..thank you for sharing.
    Lucy

    ReplyDelete
  21. I. LOVE. THIS. WREATH.

    Gorgeous. Such a cute, attainable idea! Thanks for sharing!

    Dana
    craftedniche.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow! who knew paper plates, fire and sprinkles could look SO good!Love the details of this tutorial...I feel I could do this...

    Also, I would like to personally invite you to our new Rockin’ link party every Friday at RoCa and Company. Come and show off this super cute wreath... seriously... stop by this coming Friday. Hope to see you there...

    Remember...YOU ROCK!!

    Carmen @
    RoCa and Company
    www.rocaandcompany.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. Absolutely gorgeous! This wreath is right up my alley - I'm going to have to make one to match my decor for year round.
    I just had to share your amazing tutorial with my Twitter followers, too!

    ReplyDelete
  24. This looks great! I am working on a book page wreath right now and burning the pasges sort of like this, but I never would have thought of cookies prinkles. Genius! I am a new follower. I hope you'll stop by some time!

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is seriously the cutest wreath! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks for sharing this tutorial, I love it. I also pinned it!

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is seriously awesome! I love how you burned the edges, it adds just the right touch. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  28. This is FABulous! What a creation! I'm including this in a mega Halloween Wreath round-up post in October : )
    Jaimee @ craft-interrupted.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thanks for your tutorial! This wreath is some serious time commitment and definitely patience required with the mess it makes. My house smelled of coffee and then fire. But in the end makes for a fun Halloween welcome on my front door. I substituted black tulle & damask tacks for the sprinkles.

    ReplyDelete
  30. This is absolutely amazing! Thanks for sharing how to add all the gorgeous details.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love your wreath! Featuring it tomorrow on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Desiree! I'm thrilled to be featured on your blog.

      Delete
  32. Stopping over to pin this. Too cute, and clever! I wouldn't of guessed it was paper plates.

    ~Bliss~

    ReplyDelete
  33. Love, love, LOVE your wreath!! Brilliant to use paper plates like this. Pinning it!

    <3 Christina at I Gotta Create!
    Wildly Original linky party is open.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Love this! I've coffee stained & burnt edges but never thought to do it to a paper plate and then create a flower...genius! This is definitely one I'm going to try --- thanks for such fab inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Found this on 36th Avenue and so happy I did! Not only am I going to make this wreath(2 wreaths), I love the crafty elegance of your whole site!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hi! Found your blog at Li'l Blue Boo, where Ashley was featuring wreaths. Your paper plate wreath intrigues me. It is absolutely stunning! I'm your newest follower and I'd love it if you would come over and follow me!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Congrats, Jenn! You are being featured in our Top 10 Halloween Wreath post! Stop over and see your feature. Feel free to grab the image and use it as a button that you were featured!

    We love all your crafty ideas!
    http://bowdabrablog.com/2012/09/29/10-halloween-wreath-ideas/#

    Susie @Bowdabra

    ReplyDelete
  38. Just appened across your site & bloody freakin LOVE this wreath!! Thank you for making it a tutorial. I hope to morph it a bit with some other ideas I've been pondering for paper craft. hmmm... how to spend the day? Housework... making a mess... housework... making a mess.. LOL

    Thanks again!!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Just stopping by to let you know I featured this project on this round-up
    http://diycraftyprojects.com/2012/11/50-yes-fifty-fall-wreath-ideas-and-inspiration.html :)

    Feel free to grab a featured button from my side bar.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!

Related Posts with Thumbnails