August 17, 2011

Sundried Tomatoes

I made my very own! Yes I did. If you've read any of my past posts this summer you know I bought a Tommacio plant from a local nursery. This is a hybrid that was developed specifically for producing a raisin tomato. The idea was that if you leave them on the vine they'll dry all by themselves. However, Virginia humidity would have nothing of the sort. These sweet things need to be harvested at their peak ripeness. Just like the photo below shows. No waiting for vine drying.

1. Rinse them and then pat dry.
2. Cover a cookie sheet in aluminum foil and sprinkle a couple tablespoons of salt evenly.
3. Spread the tomatoes out over the salted surface and put into a 300° oven for 3-4 hrs.
4. Check periodically because some will dehydrate quicker than others and you don't want burnt raisin tomatoes.

This is what they look like about half way through the process.
You can see some of them are just about ready to remove from the oven.

Here are the Tommacios when they're all finished up.
Perfectly dried and ready to use in homemade breads and pastas. Yummy!
You can store them in a zip lock bag but I'm storing mine in a mason jar.
 
If you love sundried tomatoes as much as I do definitely look for these at your local nursery next growing season.

Thanks for stopping by Blue Sky Confections!

Jenny K.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds delicious! I love sundried tomatoes. I hope I can get my garden-act-together next year. Mine is pretty sad this year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look great, how long do they stay good?

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!

Related Posts with Thumbnails