July 12, 2011

A Collection of Sorts

I'm back! I went missing for a while. My family and I took a trip to the Northwoods to visit parents, grandparents, brothers, sisters, nieces and nephews and to deliver some handmade gifts. We had a great time over the July 4th holiday with campfires, fireworks, boating and eating. Lots of eating. I think I gained about 10 lbs. Yikes!

A few weeks ago I blogged about a dress that I made for my youngest daughter. I also stated that I had challenged myself to make a small collection. Now this collection wouldn't pass Heidi Klum's test but I happen to be pleased with my first time efforts.

I used the same fabrics to create each ensemble. This is a sz 3-4 pant set made for one of my nieces using the chambray denim for the pants with a floral, linen, ruffle at the base.

This is the set that I made for my son. I love these shorts with the cargo pockets and the cuffed, button-up leg. I found a great white and black pinstripe linen to coordinate with the floral pattern. I purchased a simple white "t-shirt" for each of the boys and embellished them with their first initials using a zig-zag stitch. The key to getting a nice sharp cut letter is fusible bonding. It makes the fabric nice and stiff and easy to cut and sew. I used Pellon Craft Fuse.

I made this sz. 3-4 short set for another one of my nieces, trimming out the top with the linen stripe and trying my hand at smocking. Smocking, while a simple concept will take me a few more sewing projects using the technique to master the skill.

I created this paper bag skirt for my youngest brothers, oldest daughter. That's a moutful! I didn't use elastic so the belt loops and the tie around the waste are the only thing to hold this little number up. I also made use of the salvage edge on the denim. I love the fray. To pull a style like this off I believe you have to be rail thin and my niece wore it well!

This little outfit was made for the youngest of the nieces and nephews on my families side. Same concept as the first boys ensemble in this post but the button-up tab is striped linen rather than denim and it is of course a smaller size.

Here are some of the children in their outfits. My youngest daughter refused to wear her dress and be photographed and one of my nieces was not at the gathering.

I had visions of splendor with children frolicking in the hay field wearing their handmade clothing and letting me photograph them with great big smiles. The sleep deprived children had other ideas and between being viciously attacked by mosquitoes and dogs running in and out of the picture this is the best that I was able to capture.

Despite my failure to get the creme de la creme photo my nieces, nephews and my own children are B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L and they wore their outfits well!!! Don't ya think?

I'll have to do a post on our Northwoods trip very soon until then...

Thanks for stopping by Blue Sky Confections. I'm glad to be back!!!

Jenny K.

2 comments:

  1. My friend, I gained eight pounds so if we hang out beside one another, maybe no one will notice!

    Glad you had a great trip. I am sure the outfits will be treasured and when photographing kids, I think those types are the best. You remember them just as they are- crazy and wild and never sitting still- when you look back at those!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing. You put so much love and work into those outfits. They are darling.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!

Related Posts with Thumbnails