July 31, 2011

Blackberry Breakfast Bars

First of all I have to say that blackberries are one of the most beautiful berries. Their color alone is scrumptious! Just look at how the light dances and glistens on each plump, juicy delight. Yummy!

I want to share three of my favorite blackberry recipes with you. The first one I'll be featuring is a breakfast bar that makes you feel like you're being healthy when baking. wink wink~

We made a trip to our local pick-your-own farm. The sky was sublime that day and I managed to get a quick shot of my kids running towards the blackberry patch.


It was a cooler day than usual here in VA, only reaching the high 80s. So to me it was a perfect day to pick berries and my son was in agreement. He had his eye set on the prize thinking about all the desserts I would make using these pretty black beauties. We picked all the ripe berries we found. I believe the following weekend was going to be a blackberry lovers dream. I think all those unripe berries in the photo would be just perfect in about a week.


And without further ado here is the Blackberry Breakfast Bar recipe:

For the base and topping you will need:
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup quick cooking rolled oats
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon baking soda
½ cup butter melted

In a mixing bowl stir together flour, oats, brown sugar, ¼ teaspoon cinnamon, and baking soda. Stir in melted butter till thoroughly combined. Set aside 1 cup of the oat mixture for topping. Press remaining oat mixture into an ungreased 9x9x2-inch pan. Bake in a 350-degree oven for 20 to 25 minutes.


You see I had a fabulous little baking assistant. I hope you have an assistant of your own while making these bars. My "Wee One" really enjoyed packing down the oat mixture.

Now mix up the following in a saucepan for the filling:
2 cups fresh or frozen blackberries
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon lemon juice
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon


In a medium saucepan combine berries, sugar, water, lemon juice and ½ teaspoon cinnamon. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for about 8-10 minutes or till slightly thickened, stirring frequently. Remove from heat.


Carefully spread filling on top of baked crust. Sprinkle with reserved oat mixture. Lightly press oat mixture into filling. Bake in the 350-degree oven for 20 to 25 minutes more or till topping is set. Cool in pan on a wire rack. Cut into bars.

For the finale...

A yummy bar, with low sugar content, that tastes way better than any granola bar you can buy in the grocery store.

Give this recipe a try. You won't be disappointed.
(To give credit where credit is due you can find the original recipe here.)

Thanks for stopping by Blue Sky Confections!

Jenny K.

p.s. I'll try to share my other two favorites in the next couple weeks.


1 comment:

  1. I just found your blog that someone else had mentioned(megan on her whatever blog had about your door decor)and saw that you live in VA. Me too! :)
    -Julie

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!

Related Posts with Thumbnails