June 26, 2011

How Many Squash Does One Family Need?


We have it in abundance! Yellow Squash that is and a few zucchini. This is one of many pickings to date. We bought a chest freezer for the sole purpose of storing veggies & fruits. Someone told me to slice the squash and put it into freezer bags. I sure hope it works and it doesn't ruin them.

Squash bugs have infested our zucchini so the handsome hubby pulled them out of the raised bed, cleaned up that area and we're going to put in some bean seeds. We've already got beans planted in one section and had a nice, big helping of them last night with dinner but if you've ever planted beans you know you need quite a few to harvest enough at one time for a meal.

Next year I want to plant one yellow squash and one zucchini then a variety of other squash and/or melons. I'll chalk this up as a learning experience. No one family needs hundreds of yellow squash.

I've mentioned in prior posts that we planted
"Lemon Yellow Heirloom Cucumbers".
We've harvested seven of them thus far and they are tasty!
Aren't they the cutest little cucumbers you ever did see? They're not as big as a traditional cucumber but their mild flavor and lemon yellow peel make up for that. I've read that you can pickle these. If I am able to harvest a bunch at once I just may give it a whirl.

I will definitely plant these again next year.

Thanks for stopping by Blue Sky Confections!

Jenny K.

2 comments:

  1. I love the little cukes! How adorable! Are the seeded or are they more like an english cucumber? Did you go to the farmer's market to sell your goodies yet? I was just bragging about you to my friend last night :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yellow cucumbers! Joy! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!

Related Posts with Thumbnails