If you've been reading my blog as of late you know that I've got a raised bed garden as part of the community garden in our development. You also know that I've got zucchini, squash, eggplant, tomatoes, cucumbers and more planted. The zucchini and squash are quick to produce a wielding amount of fruit and so I've been cooking and baking with them. We've done grilled squash and zucchini, zucchini bread and the latest is a creation of my own using what I had on hand. After all isn't that the beauty of a summer garden? Prepping healthy, simple, fresh meals using what you've got on hand. I've also got a secret ingredient. Well, it won't be much of a secret after I post this to the internet.
What recipes have you created using freshly picked produce and what you've got on hand in your pantry?
6, 6-8" zucchini cut lengthwise and hollowed out so they look like little boats
1 medium size onion finely chopped
1 can black beans rinsed and drained
1 can diced tomatoes
1 c. prepared rice (I like jasmine rice)
1 tbsp. Bangarang Seasoning Blend from Greenhearts Farm
1/4 c. chopped cilantro
2 tbsp. lime juice
1/2 c. cheddar cheese
1/4 c. Panko bread crumbs
2 tbsp. olive oil
1. Preheat oven to 400°
2. Prep your zucchini boats and line them up in a large baking dish
3. Saute onion in olive oil in large pan for about 5 minutes
4. Add diced tomatoes and allow to cook down for an additional 5 minutes
5. Add in the rice, then the black beans and the Bangarang Seasoning and simmer for a couple minutes
6. Remove from heat and allow to cool for a bit then mix in cilantro and lime juice
7. Fill zucchini boats with mixture, top with cheddar cheese followed by a sprinkle of bread crumbs
8. Bake at 400° for 35 minutes
Now go visit my friends Greenhearts Farm website and buy some Bangarang seasoning. YUMMY!
Thanks for stopping by Blue Sky Confections!