June 14, 2011

Beach Cruisers & Handmade Basket Liners

If my family lived near Cape Cod I would move there in a heartbeat. We visited for a short time the early part of last summer for a beautiful wedding. I fell in love with the cottage style homes and landscaping with an abundance of hydrangeas growing in every yard. The foliage and trees reminded me of the place I grew up but still right on the ocean where you get the waves and the breeze. In my mind the Cape set a tone for a simpler way of life, a slower pace if you will. Maybe it's because I equate the beach with vacation and not having to rush, rush, rush. To top it off I've been swooning over the homes that Erin from House of Turquoise has been featuring and they all have the color scheme and decor I've been licking my lips over.


I said all of that to introduce you to one of my latest projects and I sure hope it makes you smile. My husband and I recently acquired a couple of beach cruisers. L-O-V-E them!!! They're a lot of fun to ride around our little development. I ride mine down to the garden and I wanted a basket so I could carry my fresh pickings back with me. Now I think I just might need a crate for the back of the bike. I'm getting so many squash and zucchini and this is just the beginning of harvest season. Anyways, back to the subject at hand. I picked up this great basket at Tarjay but it wasn't complete. I had to put my own stamp on this lovely little find. I developed my own pattern, picked out the fabrics I wanted to use from my existing stash and then embellished it with pennants strung along a thin red ribbon. There's even a strip of pockets along the inside of the liner for my cellphone and keys. The fabric patterns and colors are so fun and when I'm riding my bike I feel much younger than I am and it conjures up fond childhood memories. You should try it.


So I've been agonizing over whether or not to start up an Etsy Shop and start selling these lovely little liners. Then in true form I over think E-V-E-R-Y detail because that's how I am. What if I invest the time in this start-up and nothing comes of the venture? Is there a big enough market for my designs? What if no one likes them? How will I handle fabric choices? Will I even have the time to make these for others? Is this really what I am supposed to do? Is it the right decision? Should I focus purely on graphic design? Oh my word it's like a broken record that plays in my head and haunts me with every idea I have and instead of launching forward, I freeze. Then frustration comes. Frustration with myself for not proceeding forward and missing a possible opportunity.

"A double-minded man is unstable in all his ways." This scripture applies to following Christ and being on the fence, not following wholeheartedly. It can also apply to every decision you have in life. If there is constant indecision it leaves you in a state of paralysis. Is there anything in your life that you haven't moved on because of fear or indecision?

What's stopping me? I've got a wonderfully supportive, handsome, husband. I had to throw the handsome part in there. After all, it's true! There won't be huge start up fees with an Etsy Shop.

I'm pretty sure you will be seeing an online store with my name on it in the very near future. So if you want a basket liner for your very own beach cruiser let me know.

Good news... as of this morning (06-15) I opened my very own Etsy Shop. I've only got one item listed and it's the basket liner but if you love her as much as I do maybe you'll want one too!

Thanks for stopping by Blue Sky Confections!

Linked up at TT&J.

Jenny K.

p.s. While I typed up this post my wee one covered herself in Desitin. I cleaned her up. Then she went on to emptying the end table packed full of blankets all over the living room. If that wasn't enough she sat in the kitchen sink and emptied dish soap all over herself

I need a vacation. What are the chances that I would get whisked away to Cape Cod for a long weekend without children?

25 comments:

  1. Oh my word! I laughed out loud at baby R. That is TOO funny and sounds like a scene from my house! haha! Kids make everything IMpossible! I love everything about this post...I love the basket, I love the BLUE bike and I love the idea of you having an etsy shop. You have such an eye and a gift...you should totally rock it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should totally start an etsy shop! I'm sure everything you make will sell like crazy! Go for it! :) Beautiful bike, basket and liner!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh. I am in love with this bike! And the basket? To die for...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't own a beach cruiser ... YET ... but if you start selling these and tell me where to find a basket ... I just might soon :) Super duper cute, great job

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness! That is the cutest bike and basket EVER! I really want it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sitting here at the Cape reading your blog. Couldn't possibly love it here any more. We vaca here a couple times a year and I fall in love with all of the things you described each and every time. I too acquired a beach cruiser this spring. I will have to try the basket liner. Yours is super cute!
    Enjoy that beach cruiser and good luck with Etsy.

    P.S. Kids love the Cape! Mine wear themselves out on the beach, and I have never seen them eat so much. They are 7 and 3 and have both been coming here since they were born and love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sitting here at the Cape reading your blog. Couldn't possibly love it here any more. We vaca here a couple times a year and I fall in love with all of the things you described each and every time. I too acquired a beach cruiser this spring. I will have to try the basket liner. Yours is super cute!
    Enjoy that beach cruiser and good luck with Etsy.

    P.S. Kids love the Cape! Mine wear themselves out on the beach, and I have never seen them eat so much. They are 7 and 3 and have both been coming here since they were born and love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ok.... so these are TOO cute! I don't have a beach cruiser or a need for the basket but it is so adorable. But I DO NEED that fabric for curtains in my kitchen... can you please share the brand/name/place of purchase???? Thanks... I'm a new follower because I love your creative eye.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Um. Please don't open an etsy store. I would go broke buying all your cute stuff!!!!
    Seriously though, DO IT! DO IT! DO IT!!!!
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is just beautiful. Your composition, colors, cruiser, basket, liner, everything.

    I don't know how things will sell on Etsy. I think with everyone possibly having different size baskets that may present a problem.

    Did you consider a pattern instead? Then people can make them to fit what they have.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I saw this link on Facebook and ohmygoodness this is just gorgeous!! You should totally sell things...if everything you make is this stylish, I'm sure you'll sell out in a heartbeat!

    Strangely, that's one of my favorite verses you quoted. It helps me remember that I need to be focused and decisive, something I tend to struggle with. So I understand completely where you're coming from because I do the 100-reasons-why-it-won't-work-thing too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is beautiful and fun. I love my bike and have a basket for my dog to ride in. I have to do this!!!! But yours is just too cute!!
    Following you now
    ladeedacreations.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I featured this on my blog, Diva Thursday! You can come by and grab a button if you like.
    http://ladeedacreations.com/2011/06/diva-thursday-who-will-be-crowned-a-diva-this-week/
    I love this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the beach cruiser and the basket liner is fantastic. I saved it as a favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is totally cute! I know how to sew but just don't enjoy it. I am in awe of those of you who can make cute things like this!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this and want to get a bike like this right away! :-) thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. When will you have more liners in your shop? Cost? I LOVE it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Wynne Family, I just listed another liner in my shop. If you have the Schwinn basket it's the perfect choice. Thank you for your inquiry.

    Jenny K.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi I love the pictures of your bike and the basket liner! Can you please tell me what bike that is, It is exactly what I want, the tires everything. And then I can get a gorgeous liner from your shop to go with it! Too cute. thanks

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh wow, I have this exact same bike, and would LOVE to purchase this liner. Please email me: rai gans mom at yah oo dot com.

    ReplyDelete
  21. any chance you could tell me where I could purchase this bike...so I could purchase a cute basket liner too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nichole, I bought this bike last year at WalMart. They might still have them but I bet it's a new color for this year. Happy shopping. Come back to my Etsy shop when you find your bike. I'm currently sewing up a new batch of liners for my shop for the Schwinn Brown Handlebar Basket found at target.com and the Bell Wire Baskets found at WalMart.

      Delete
  22. Hello lovely! I came across you blog and just adore your bicycle basket liners. Hope you don't mind but I blogged about your site. Let me know if this is alright with you.

    http://www.nothingbutapigeon.blogspot.com/

    XOXO

    Taylor

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so very much Taylor for featuring my blog on yours I really appreciate the kind gesture!

      Delete
  23. Hello,
    We are from a company called Luv Handles. We make basket liners as well. We just wanted to say that you have some very lovely designs and shoudl you wish to sell them in our shop here in the U.K. then we woudl be very happy to take on your brand.
    Drop in and say hello!

    Luv Handles the bike boutique
    xox

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!

Related Posts with Thumbnails