May 23, 2011

Farmers Markets, Baked Goods & Pretties

Sweet & Savory

 

I baked some sweet rolls a few days back but instead of doing the typical butter, cinnamon, sugar combination which is always yummy. I filled them with mascarpone cheese & freshly made strawberry freezer jam. Don't they look delicious? Well they are. I can assure you of that.

I am sharing this with you because I am considering a booth at my local community farmers market. I love farmer's markets. When we lived in North Carolina there was a very large market not to far from us and it was so much fun to walk through all the open-air buildings to see what everyone had brought to sell. I purchased one of the most amazing wooden cutting boards from that very spot. There were always fresh cut flowers, pottery, baked goods and of course lots and lots of produce.

The market I am considering being a part of will be on a much smaller scale. There is a small fee to set up and I would of course need a tent and tables. If I do this I would sell home baked goods and maybe some original creations made by "Blue Sky Confections".

How do I decide what to make? 7 am is the start time and the breakfast hour. Would english muffins sell? These are much simpler to make than I thought and market goers could slather on some homemade strawberry jam and grab a cup of coffee.


What about chocolate chip cookies with finely chopped pecans?

 
This wouldn't be a money making venture. I don't think there's loads of money to be made in small batch baked goods one Saturday morning each month. It would be more of a "get my name and blog" out into the community in hopes that my local readership would increase and maybe even open up some new doors of opportunity. What doors of opportunity? I don't know. I'll be waiting to see.

To participate or not is the question I'm asking myself. I definitely don't want to waste my time and resources.

Any thoughts from those of you that may have done markets in the past.

I'd love to hear from you.

Thanks for stopping by Blue Sky Confections!

Jenny K.

2 comments:

  1. I tried to comment earlier but I think my phone ate it so forgive me if it double posts. I have considered the same thing before, but my kid's sports always get in the way. I think you should totally give it a try! You figure the worst outcome is that you meet some new people and everyone enjoys your sparkling personality and FABULOUS homemade yummies. THe best outcome is that you make contacts that can help move your bloggy along to bigger and better things. And, I have total faith that the latter will be the outcome. Just let me know where you are: I LOVE homemade english muffins :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I had just an ounce of your energy! Seriously. I think you should tackle gluten free baked goods and then send them to me to taste test. ;-) If you do try the farmer's market I bet you sell out every single week!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!

Related Posts with Thumbnails