April 18, 2011

Strawberry Shortcake Cookies

Strawberry season is right around the corner for those of us that live in Virginia. The stores are chock-full of well-priced beautiful, plump, juicy berries from other regions of this great nation but if you live in VA you'll soon be able to pick your own. Check your local listing for a farm near by and their hours of operation.

Each year our family heads to our local berry farm the first part of May to fill up 3 or more flats with strawberries. Our children manage to eat a few as we pick. How can you resist? Then I make chocolate dipped strawberries, freezer jam, strawberry shortcake and last year I happened upon this recipe in LIVING by Martha Stewart and I was sold.

I made a batch today using store bought strawberries and they are every bit as good as they were last year. The recipe calls for sprinkling sanding sugar over the tops of each before baking. I did not do that this go-around and last year I drizzled white chocolate over the top of each cookie and I would recommend that to anyone giving this recipe a try.

The dough is almost pie crust like and calls for the use of a pastry cutter, or your hands, when mixing the butter into the flour/sugar mixture. I don't own a pastry cutter so I used my hands and it was actually very therapeutic to blend each cube of butter until I got the course crumb mixture the recipe calls for before adding the heavy cream and diced berries.

Add this recipe to your stash if you want a portable dessert that's not overly sweet and closely resembles strawberry shortcake.

We'll be heading out to pick in a few weeks so maybe we'll see you at the farm.

Thanks for stopping by Blue Sky Confections!

Jenny K.

6 comments:

  1. This sounds delish!! I can't wait to make them. I may make them tonight with berries that I bought over the weekend that are looking a little sad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your blog!! I am definitely going to be your new follower :) I would love it if you followed me to @ for-the-luv-of.blogspot.com that would be great :) I am just starting out, but I am excited to share new recipes, crafts, and makeup.. And Giving away giveaways on mineral make-up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm sorry but i don't see the recipe at all in this post...? is it hiding somewhere?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The recipe is a link within the word "this".

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love to try this recipe, but I get nothing when I hover over the word 'this'. Do you mind sending me the recipe?
    goddus@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look so yummy. Love your blog come and check out my blog

    www.thedailysmash101.blogspot.com

    Have a great day

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!

Related Posts with Thumbnails