March 15, 2011

Spring Is Upon Us - Seedlings

Thyme Spent In The Garden

I took this photo this past weekend because I loved the way the sky looked. The spring and fall sky share similar characteristics and I always love the contrast of a dark sky against the wood line.


I'm going to update you on my little greenhouse venture and I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised.

The really tall seedlings are lemon, heirloom cucumber. They will produce round, yellow fruit that are supposed to be great fresh or for pickling. Time will tell. I'll keep you informed.

Here is my sea of tomato seedlings. I planted the following heirloom variety: Giant Oxheart, Brandywine, Pineapple, Mortgage Lifter & Aunt Ruby's German Green. I also tried these hybrids: Viva Italia Hybrid, Chocolate Cherry & Burbee Supersteak. I love tomatoes. We eat a lot in this household between homemade salsa and a variety of salads and pasta dishes. I plan to learn how to can this year so I can have an entire winters worth of my own homegrown tomatoes for my family.

I also purchased arugula, spinach, eggplant, squash, beans, yummy peppers, jalapeno peppers, gourmet rainbow peppers and sweet pea seeds. I'm considering trying to grow broccoli as well.

Now onto my flower starters. I spend lots of money each spring filling hanging baskets and window boxes with my local nursery purchases. While that's good for the local nurseries it's not great for our pocketbook. However I believe that it's well worth the money spent but I thought I'd try my hand at starting a few flower varieties myself.

Here's the start of my outdoor flowers. I really hope I have success with growing my own. My husband will be thrilled at the cost savings if this works out. I always add sweet potato vine to my hanging baskets but was unable to find seeds for them so I may still have to purchase those. I started three varieties of petunia's a white, a salmon and a fuschia. The fuschia is combined with bacopa which is a small, white, trailing, flower.

I also started 15 Coleus Versa (which means they should be good in the sun and in the shade). Coleus are the beautiful, variegated, multi-colored foliage that you see in landscapes and pots. They can get up to 2 feet tall and really full and lush. I'll probably add these to my porch pots and landscape. The colors are a mixed bag so we'll see what I get.

I also saved seeds from my vines last year.

These seeds are from the purple hyacinth bean vine. The seeds remind me of little chickadees. I'll be planting several of these. Some for my yard and some for the Ashland Strawberry Faire. Our Community Garden is taking root this year and we are raising money for things like compost and wood to build raised beds. A portion of the garden will be used to grow fresh produce for our area's Food Bank. We will be selling plants and baked goods so come out and see us on June 4th.

I also harvested Moonflower seeds. Don't they look like little kernels of corn? I will do the same with these, plant some for my yard and plant for our booth at the Ashland Strawberry Faire.

I love working with plants. I'm still learning but what better way to learn than hands-on. If you're considering starting some of your own plants go for it! It is very gratifying to watch them sprout.

Thanks for stopping by Blue Sky Confections!

Jenny K.

1 comment:

  1. I always love your beautiful front porch. Maybe we will make it out so I can buy some of your plants :) I want to try the moonflower this year, as well. It is so cottage-like and just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!

Related Posts with Thumbnails