March 3, 2011

front door decor

It has been a while since I last posted. I've been busy with a handful of graphic design projects and when I try to blog and take care of client work I get really stressed. I've still got some print jobs and a web project I'm working to complete but in the meantime I thought I'd pop in and share my new door decor with my lovely readers.


Remember this post? I shared with you some of the elements used to create my piece de resistance.

To make this twist on a wreath I purchased a large, three dimensional letter and wrapped the entire thing in 3-ply jute using hot glue, making sure to pull tightly. I didn't want any loose jute. Loose jute wouldn't be good. I'm sure you would agree.


I fashioned some little birds out of fimo clay. There needed to be two little birds, one to represent my handsome hubby and one to represent the lady of the house and that would be me. The small nest was created using jute, twigs and green moss and I stitched it onto the lovely branch that I found on one of the walks I take with my kidlet's on nice, sunny days. The three, little, wooden eggs and the barn wood frame were purchased at a local craft store and then painted pale blue. I don't think I need to explain why there are three little eggs but just in case, each one is a stand-in for my GREGARIOUS children.

I was lucky to find wide ribbon that matched the paint exactly and it is attached to the back of the frame using hot glue and staples. I used the bright, apple green, grosgrain ribbon in the piece because it coordinates with the bistro set on the front porch but it also provides a nice pop of color and an additional touch of whimsy.


The welcome sign is actually three pieces of textured, card stock layered one on top of the other and then stitched together using my sewing machine. The three layers will provide stability when the wind starts to blow. I attached safety pins to each corner and then to that some more jute so it could hang nicely from the little tree branch. The letters are actually black vinyl leftover from my days as an Uppercase Living® representative. That was short lived. I don't do well with home show sales. I hate pressuring people to buy stuff and home business sales require aggressive measures in order to be successful.

The letters are actually cut out of a plethora of individual words. Patience I tell you, patience but doesn't it look like the birds could have actually put the sign together themselves using individual letters from the local newspaper. LOL They also stand out much better than an ink jet print would have. All in all I'm happy with the final product. I wanted a fun twist on a traditional wreath and I think I succeeded in delivering just that.

On a side note: There's Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, Valentine's Day and then Girl Scout Cookie Season. Just to list a few stumbling blocks to weight loss. I know you can relate. I'm just saying my New Year's resolutions don't begin until after Girl Scout Cookie Season.

Thanks for stopping by Blue Sky Confections!

Jenny K.

40 comments:

  1. Just happened upon your blog from Jen at Tatortots and Jello..what a precious door sign..really cute!
    Laurie ~ Whimsy Cookie Co

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen @ TT&J tweeted about this and I just had to look. Your door decor is fabulous! So unique and perfect! Thanks for sharing. ~Molly

    ReplyDelete
  3. tatertots and jello put this on FB. I looove it! So perfect for spring! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this!! Way Cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Adorable! Love the idea of wrapping the letter with jute!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too found your blog from TT&J. I'm so glad I did. I love your photography, and this is a great project. I just love it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just LOVE it! It could not be any more perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am lovelovelovING this!!!!! I love making new "different" kind of wreaths for my front door. This is great! Thanks for sharing your creativity!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Jenny,

    I love your front door creation. I think I'm going to make something like it, it's so refreshing. I popped over after seeing you on Tater tots and Jello's FB page. I'm following via GFC not too.

    I also posted your post on my Hoot Designs FB page too!!

    Have a great weekend
    Chrissy

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your front door decor! I am inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Darling! Found you via tt&j.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is featured at Sugar and Dots today! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. this is a really really cool idea! what a neat-o twist on a regular wreath :) love it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is awesome! I love the jute wrapped letter and the aquare frame!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my! What a beautiful door sign!! One of my absolute favorites!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love, love, love your sign!

    ReplyDelete
  17. DARLING! I love everything about this. I hope it's okay that I share this on my blog. It's too cute not to show everyone! Found you via TT&J. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. A friend showed me this and I LOVED it! I made one myself and posted it on my blog with a link to your blog. Thanks so much for the great idea and tips/instructions on how you did it! I'll definitely be checking back for more great ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I just finished a fun wreath using this as my inspiration! Thanks! I would love to post a picture of your on my blog with a link back to your site... is that okay?! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  20. @ Natalie - I would be flattered. Let me know your blog address so I can visit. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks. Here's the link to my post:

    http://nicnatroach.blogspot.com/2011/04/whimsical-easter-wreath.html

    Thanks for the inspiration. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  22. We loved your spring front door wreath so much it inspired a "girls craft night".....check it out!

    http://thethrillofhope.blogspot.com/2011/04/craft-night-out.html

    LOVE your blog!!!
    ~Carrody

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love Love your style...beautiful blogsite I look forward to following!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am a brand new follower. I saw Oopsey Daisey Tweet your post and I love love love this front door wreath! Beautiful!

    www.elephantstrunkLLB.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love love love what you made! I need to apply the same concept to make a new wreath for our front door!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I am obsessed with your wreath and actually made my own version of yours that I would like to post about! I would absolutely link back to you and would love to show your version on my blog as well if that is possible? I love what others have done with your creation as well! You are quite the inspiration!

    Please let me know either way what you think!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I LOVE frame wreaths, but this is amazing! I just featured it today on my Wednesday's Wowzers. Here is the link:

    http://oopsey-daisy.blogspot.com/2011/04/wednesdays-wowzers-hurry-up-summer.html

    Thanks for the inspiration!
    ~Alison

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thank you so much for letting me make and share my knock off version of your framed creation!

    Just in case you want to read about it, here is the link (and I did post a picture and link back to you too), giving you all of the credit for the idea!):

    http://roselandfamily.blogspot.com/2011/04/spring-door-decor.html

    Thank you one more time!

    ReplyDelete
  29. How adorable that is. I wish I had your creativity. I'm gonna attempt to make one of these. So glad I found your blog. I'm your newest follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. This is just FAB Jenny! xo

    (new follower here!)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Love to know where you found the letter. Amazingly adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I just cam across you blog post and I have to admit your take on the door wreath is ADORABLE.I can't wait to try one of my own. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Cute door & adorable blog. Thanks for sharing! I am your newest follower and I think your blog is cute. I would appreciate it if you came to my blog and followed me too! http://milliemorganmedia.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  34. Happy to have found you-the front door decor is adorable-following you from tatertots to jello-stop over for a visit!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I found this and instantly repinned on Pintrest. I love this and now have had such a wonderful time wandering around your blog! Last night a friend and I decided that we would make these for our spring front door pieces. We hope you don't mind!! Thank you for such a beautiful idea! Blessings- Krysti

    ReplyDelete
  36. Love your blog and this project with jute - so creative and gorgeous! Love the unconventional take on a wreath! Just wanted to let you know I featured you in my roundup of jute craft projects here. Feel free to check it out if you want and hope you like it! : )

    -Mel the Crafty Scientist

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!

Related Posts with Thumbnails