February 18, 2011

Sundried Tomato & Cheese Bread

Friday Food Bites to Wet Your Appetite

I'm still feeling under the weather but we ran out of bread and my kids like their bread. It's a definite staple in this house. So what else was I to do... I went ahead and made another of my favorites. Give it a try, you will not be disappointed! I love this with homemade, chicken salad and a big slice of cheddar cheese, topped with arugula. Mmmmm... Mmmmmmm....

Here's the recipe and it's from my Kitchenaid® Instructional & Recipe Booklet:

2 packages of active dry yeast
1 c warm water
2 c whole wheat flour
3-3 1/2 c all purpose flour (I always sift my flour)
2 tbls sugar
2 tsp salt
2 tbls butter softened
1 c warm milk (105° - 115°)
1/4 cup chopped sundried tomatoes
1 tsp instant minced onion (I didn't have minced onion so I added a 1/4 tsp of onion powder)
2 tsp dried parsley leaves
1/2 c shredded sharp cheddar cheese

Dissolve yeast in 1 cup of warm water in small bowl, soften butter in microwave, warm milk to 110° and add the flour to the mixing bowl.

Combine whole wheat flour 2 cups all purpose flour, sugar and salt in mixer bowl. Fit mixer with Dough Hook and mix about 30 seconds.


Once you notice the yeast mixture foaming go ahead and add it, the milk and the butter to the flour mixture. Turn mixer on speed 2 and combine ingredients. When combined, stop mixer and add the cheese, sundried tomatoes, parsley and minced onion.


Turn mixer on speed 2 and when everything is combined add an additional cup of all-purpose flour a half cup at a time. If dough pulls away nicely from the sides of the mixing bowl you know it's ready to pull out. If it's still sticking to the bowl add another half cup of flour. You don't want the dough to get to heavy so be mindful with that last half cup. Shape the dough into a nice ball and put into a well greased bowl, cover with saran wrap and let it rise in a warm, draft free, area. When the dough has more than doubled in size dump it out onto a well floured surface.


Cut the dough in half and roll the first half out into a rectangle shown in the upper right hand corner of the photo's below. Make sure you don't roll it out wider than your bread pan. Then begin to tightly roll towards you and then seal the bottom and the ends by pinching the dough. Do the same with the second half of the dough.


Put both loaves into well-greased bread pans, cover with cheesecloth or a light weight, cotton dish towel and let rise until doubled in size. (about 1" above bread pans) Bake at 375° for 40 minutes. Remove immediately from pans and allow to cool on a wire rack.

Slice and serve with your favorite sandwich fixings or your favorite goat cheese spread.

I love trying new bread recipes. If you've got a tried and true recipe I'd love to give it a whirl.

Thanks for stopping by Blue Sky Confections!

Jenny K.

1 comment:

  1. I am so bummed that you are feeling under the weather still. You get the amazing mom award for making them such a delicious treat nevertheless!! Sounds fabulous. I am definitley picking up the supplies when I shop tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!

Related Posts with Thumbnails