February 3, 2011

Simple Fabric Rosette & Hairband

The Thursday Thread

I had a long piece of red ribbon that came off of a package or gift that we received. I saved the ribbon because I thought I could use it for something down the road. Well here I am down the road. I've been seeing fabric rosettes everywhere and thought I'd give it shot. I first folded the ribbon in half taking it from a 2 1/2" ribbon down to a 1 1/4" ribbon then I pinned it to the ironing board and twisted the full length. Once that step was complete I went ahead and started winding it as tight as I possibly could. Then I popped a safety pin in it to hold it in place while I decided what to do with it.

I ended up hot gluing it to a piece of felt and then attaching a broach pin to the back of it. My oldest wants to be able to pin it to the hairband I made for her, attach it to a silver chain to be worn as a necklace or just pin it to a shirt. So there you have it, a piece of ribbon that's been upcycled. I bet you've got some ribbon or fabric stashed somewhere that could be rolled into a little rosette.

Now onto the simple fabric hairband... based on a tutorial from this book.


The finished hairband is on the right. For that rosette I took some denim, folded it in half and stitched down one side. I then pulled the threads on that side to give it a frayed edge. Then I rolled it up the same way I did the red ribbon rosette. I think I'll do a couple more just like it and group them together. Don't you think they would make an adorable necklace too!

What you will need:

* 16 1/2" x 5 1/2" piece of fabric
* 11" x 2 3/8" piece of fabric
* 6" piece of elastic
* thread
* additional fabric or ribbon if you choose to make rosettes

1. Fold large piece of fabric in half and sew with a 3/8" inseam all the way down the raw edge. Then turn it right side out and iron with the seam going down the middle. Do the same with the 2nd piece of fabric. This will be the piece that holds the elastic.


Once you've turned the 2nd piece of fabric right side out, feed the elastic through by attaching a safety pin. I like this shot so I used it all by itself. You will need to sew the elastic to the fabric so it stays in place. Once that's complete line up both pieces seam side down, wrap the large piece around the elastic piece as seen in the photo below and then sew with a 3/8" inseam.


You'll want to repeat this on the 2nd side and then turn the hairband right side out.


Once you get the hang of these they can be done really quickly. The thing that takes the most time is turning the fabric right side out after the raw edges have been sewn up on both pieces of fabric. I made a couple today.

Thanks for stopping by Blue Sky Confections!

Jenny K.

1 comment:

  1. That is a beautiful rosette! I just love them, too. I am working on scarves for my grandmas that have them on them. So lady like!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!

Related Posts with Thumbnails