February 4, 2011

Friday Food Bites to Wet Your Appetite

Thank goodness it's Friday, really Friday here on.... WIKB!

That's a little jingle from the radio station in the town I grew up in. It's a catchy tune and if you had heard it most days of your childhood upbringing you'd be singing it too.

Okay, so sometimes I feel like all I ever do is cook and clean and clean and clean and then I can get really down on myself and consider myself less of a person because I'm at home all day with my children. I do work from home on a project by project basis but who see's that? Mom's don't go down in the hall of fame or get awards, bonuses or paychecks for consistently providing great meals and a clean home for their families. All I can hope and pray for is that my children will one day remember all the effort and time I put into doing things to show them that they are loved. I hope they remember how the house smelled each time that homemade bread was pulled from the oven. I hope they remember the soup simmering on the stove or the roast in the crock pot. The specialty sweets made from scratch and the handmade items personalized just for them. I hope they remember that I was here for them each and every day, watching over them and loving them the way I know how. The way that comes naturally to me.

Okay so I'm tearing up. That's a sign that I need to move onto the subject at hand.

I create recipes on occasion out of necessity when I don't feel like running to the grocery store and decide to use what I've got in the pantry and fridge but other than that I don't claim to be a recipe creator. I however, will post links to great finds that I come across on occasion along with some pictures of what we will be eating.

So today I started a big pot of chicken noodle soup and it simmered on the stove top all afternoon for this evenings fare. The recipe is quite simple and you can find it here. I've got a couple babies that recently have come down with a cold and I thought a hearty soup was in order for tonight.


The recipe calls for a 1/2 lb. of cooked chicken and most packs have a full pound so I doubled the entire recipe. I also added chicken stock, chicken broth as well as some vegetable broth. It can't hurt, right? My stock was in a box but a good friend of mine gives instructions at her blog on how to make your own stock.


Added to the line-up are these fabulous, soft, bread sticks. I season half of them with salt, basil, oregano & parmesan cheese. The other half I sprinkle a cinnamon and sugar mixture over. Let's just say these divine, carb loaded, twists of buttery heaven don't last long.


I also made this bread today. I make it at least once a week if not twice but tonight I'm attending a community garden meeting and we were asked to bring a dish to pass. I spotted this recipe here and thought it looked yummy! I substituted the monterey jack with fontina because that's what I had in my fridge. Don't ever let a good cheese go to waste! This recipe is definitely not figure friendly but a small slice won't kill you!


Thanks for stopping by Blue Sky Confections!

Jenny K.

1 comment:

  1. I am going to make those breakdticks tomorrow! They look amazing!! And thanks for the link :) Your soup looks heavenly!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!

Related Posts with Thumbnails