January 6, 2011

my go-to-meal

Baked Tilapia on a Bed of Wilted Spinach with a side of Jasmine Rice

This is my go to meal, well after my husband created it. He's the cook in the house. He'll play with different seasoning combos and jot down little notes that I find in the spice cabinet. One of those notes has a little poem that he was writing for me on the back. He never finished it. I keep asking him when he's going to finish. He's never given me an answer. Awe... It just dawned on me... maybe he was writing the poem about the fish. I sure hope not!

Well back to the fish... when I don't want a big mess in the kitchen and I don't have a lot of time for prep work and it needs to be a healthy meal this is my go to. I throw the fish right in the oven in the frozen state. It turns out perfect after 50-60 minutes of baking at 350°.


I buy frozen Tilapia from Sam's Club. They're individually wrapped and that makes it so nice for portioning meals. This Durkee Grill Creations Citrus Grill Seasoning is wonderful for whitefish it to was purchased at Sam's and I need some more as you can see.

1. Roll out a large sheet of foil. It needs to be large enough to meet in the middle and seal tightly.

2. Drizzle olive oil on the foil, sprinkle some Citrus Grill seasoning onto that and then evenly space the frozen fish. However many pieces you need to feed your family. Then rub each piece of fish with more olive oil, sprinkle on more Citrus Grill seasoning and then put a pat of butter on each piece.

3. Seal up the foil packet really well. Bake at 350° for about 50 minutes.


4. When the fish has 25 minutes left go ahead and start your rice. Any type of rice you like. My favorite happens to be Jasmine. Now this is my husbands own recipe for seasoning rice. It is so yummy and the kids just gobble it up. Since he came up with this creation it is the only way I season rice. Prepare the rice as the package directs but make sure to drop a chicken bullion cube into the water while it's coming to a boil.

When the rice has finished it's cooking process add (seasoning portions for 1 cup of rice):
4 tbsp. of butter
1/8 tsp. ginger
1/8 tsp. paprika
1/8 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. chives

5. When the fish has 10 minutes left get out a large saute pan and set heat on low to medium low, drizzle a little olive oil in the bottom. Dump in a bag of baby spinach or two depending on how many you're feeding. Sprinkle a little more of the citrus grill seasoning on the leaves. Let them warm for about 5 minutes, constantly turning the leaves with a pair of tongs.

Note: A bag of spinach once wilted doesn't look like much. That's why I say you may need two bags. I'm feeding a tween, a couple little ones and two adults. One bag was plenty for us.


Now plate this meal up and watch your kids clean their plates.

Do you have a healthy go-to-meal to share?

Thanks for stopping by Blue Sky Confections!

Jenny K.

1 comment:

  1. Every bite of this sounds delicious! I just love a dinner that you can crumble up the foil and call it a night, too! YUM!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!

Related Posts with Thumbnails