December 14, 2010

mother-daughter tradition & sugar cookies galore

This happens to be the SEVENTH YEAR that I have hosted a Mother-Daughter Christmas Cookie Decorating Party. Why? Well it's a reason to gather friends that you may or may not have seen throughout the year and visit while the girls decorate sugar cookies. I mix and refrigerate, roll, press and bake and then mix some more, icing that is, in preparation for this holiday tradition. I use Martha Stewart recipes for both the dough and the frosting. They do the job every time and you can find them here and here. I add almond extract instead of vanilla for a bit of a twist on a holiday favorite. I make a triple batch of each and always have lots leftover. That's when I get to try my hand at decorating. This year I did just that and then gave them as gifts to wonderful neighbors, neatly packaged in bakers boxes. This is my first round of baking. I plan to do some more deliveries as the holiday progresses.

I set up the long table in the dining room so the girls have plenty of room to spread out and make use of the multiple icing colors and sprinkles. I really hope they remember this tradition when they grow up and become mommies themselves and maybe just maybe do the same for their daughters one day.
Here are the girls doing some of their own decorating. Their cookies are so fun and colorful. There were candy canes, mittens, Christmas trees, snowflakes, stars and bells. Next year I'm going to try and find a snowman and a little house cookie cutter.

What traditions have you started with your family and friends?

Merry Christmas and thank you for stopping by Blue Sky Confections!

Jenny K.

1 comment:

  1. Everything looks beautiful, naturally! Almond extract makes the cookies so special...YUM! Merry Christmas, to a very special lady!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!

Related Posts with Thumbnails