November 1, 2010

Saying Good Bye to Yet Another October

I can't believe it's already November. Where does the time go? This past month we went to the State Fair, took a trip to the pumpkin patch, hayride and all, drove to a nearby Apple Harvest Festival, took part in our neighborhood Harvest Festival, attended a great party thrown by friends of ours, made costumes, and let the kids collect lots of candy door to door last night. I didn't get the amount of photo's I would have liked. My son wouldn't even put his costume on last night so I'll have to try and dress him in it to capture a photo so I have it for the family photo book. I want to be fully present in each thing we do but my mind is either on to the next thing or thinking about what I could have done better on a previous project. Does anyone else feel the same?

Here are a few highlights from yesterday's festivities:
My oldest dressed up as "Olivia the Pig" from the story book series "Olivia". She was supposed to put her hair in pigtails with red & white polka dot ribbons but was being a bit grouchy and didn't want to make the effort. I bought her a great red dress that she can wear again at Christmas with a black belt and some pretty jewelry.

The baby of the family was "Little Red Riding Hood" and I'm proud to say I made the costume with my own two hands and I love how it turned out. I was inspired by this book. It has great instructions and several more adorable projects. I had to modify the poncho in order to add a hood and I used ribbons instead of a snap as the front closure. These are the first wearables that I've sewn and I'm thrilled with the results. I also plan on sewing some little pants with the leftover fabric using instructions from the same book.

Daddy was the "Woodsman" and our son was "The Big Bad Wolf". He was running around somewhere behind me when this picture was being taken without his costume.

I did take some time to make a double batch of sugar cookies, just as I did last year, in the shape of pumpkins, leaves and new to the lineup this year was a mask with the addition of a cookie stick so you could hold them up to your face just like the real thing. The masks were inspired by this blog. I didn't have a cookie cutter in this shape so I used a pair of kissy lips side by side and then had to press the dough in the center so it would be one entire cookie rather than separates. They were lots of fun to make.

 ...and here is the infamous boy. The one who wouldn't wear his costume but would pose with the cookie mask. hmmm.... do you think it has anything to do with the fact that it's a cookie?

I hope to be posting lots more this harvest season.

Thanks for stopping by Blue Sky Confections.

Much Love,

Jenny K.

2 comments:

  1. Great costumes! You did an amazing job on the Little Red Riding Hood costume! I still don't do the clothing thing with my sewing machine. I'd like to learn at some point though. Your cookies look yummy! Your kids are so blessed to have you as a mom! ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this costume. It is so sweet. I think costumes make fabulous gifts. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!

Related Posts with Thumbnails