October 4, 2010

family

Completeness of order, marking the entire round of anything, is, therefore, the ever-present signification of the number ten. It implies that nothing is wanting; that the number and order are perfect; that the whole cycle is complete.

Noah
Noah completed the antediluvian age in the tenth generation from God

The Ten Commandments

The Lord's Prayer
The Lord's prayer is completed in ten clauses.

The Tithes
The tithes represent the whole of what was due from man to God, as marking and recognizing God's claim on the whole

More can be found on the significance of the number ten here.


Fourteen years ago I married a wonderful man and by doing so became part of an enormous family. I'm going to share a little about this family today. Because the story should be told but also because my husband's father has been suffering with dementia for the last several years and most recently has been bed ridden.

My husband's father, shown in the photo's above, comes from a family of TEN boys, the father of these TEN boys happened to be a minister and all TEN of his sons became ministers. His eighth son Herbert went on to have TEN children himself, 5 boys and 5 girls, with his beautiful wife, Erma also pictured above. Of course, those photos were taken before these photos...


the family continued to grow and thrive...

and celebrate special occasions, holidays,

and many weddings...


I gave you some history and now I'll say this...

This man, my father-in-law, is a great man of God. He raised all TEN of his children in a God centered home. When he was healthy and not suffering with dementia he would pray for the sick and those in need without question. He is a man that walks what he talks. A man that truly values the things of God over the things of this world. What he believes is so REAL to him and no one could EVER question his faith. I often wonder what my testimony would be if I was stricken with dementia. What would I remember? What would come out of my mouth in that condition? I can tell you this... this man, my father-in-law, has a FAITH that is unshakable even in the toughest of times. Even now, being bed ridden and his body unable to do anything it was once able to do he STILL praises the NAME OF JESUS!!! He STILL says Hallelujah, Praise be to God! Would that be your testimony? Is your faith so ingrained in you that you would remember the God you serve under these conditions? ...or would it all fade away with the temporal things of this world? To me he has an amazing testimony of a life lived to its fullest.

I want to share some more beautiful photo's of him and his family before I close this post.

Pastor Herb and Erma Kolenda and 9 of their children. One daughter was unable to attend this anniversary dinner.


Pastor Herb and Erma Kolenda with their 5 sons.


Pastor Herb Kolenda with 4 of his daughters, daughter-in-laws, and a family friend.


Pastor Herb and Erma Kolenda with myself, my husband that happens to be their 9th child and our oldest daughter.


Pastor Herb and Erma Kolenda with us.

I published this post earlier today to celebrate Pastor Herbert Kolenda's life while he was yet living. I was just recently informed that he passed away around 5:30 p.m this evening. The fourth day of the tenth month in the tenth year. Lord comfort our family in this time of sorrow.


Thank you for stopping by Blue Sky Confections today.

Jenny K.

5 comments:

  1. My heart is broken for you in your loss, friend. I am so inspired by your telling of the story of his life, though. What an amazing man! You are blessed to be a part of this family, and they are blessed to have you and your kind heart. I am so, so sorry and I know that your father in law is with his Father tonight. Much love...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for sharing your Father-in-Law's story! What an amazing testimony! His life is now being celebrated not only by his family, friends, but God as well. I know in my heart what God has said to him, "Well done my good and faithful one. Come and rest in my arms!" I long to hear those words as well. I, too, want my Faith to be so rooted. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful post and lovely tribute. I am so sorry for your family's loss Jenny. Hugs and prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sara HansenOctober 13, 2010

    Jenny...I'm not even sure what to say. This is Sara Hansen (Sara Baig). I heard about Pastor Kolenda's passing this afternoon. I decided to check the internet to see if I could find a way to get in touch with the family, and I found your blog. I can't even tell you how much I loved him and how much I love your family. Although it has been quite a few years since I have seen any of you, you are still very close to my heart.

    Pastor and Mrs. Kolenda will always hold a very special place in my heart, and I will always cherish my memories of them. I will dearly miss Pastor Kolenda and I am so blessed that I knew him. I will never forget his smile, or the big hug he would give me every Sunday at church. Please extend my love and sympathy to the family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was such a sad moment for the family. I have heard so many wonderful things about this great man of God. I am sad that I never knew him as you all did. You captured moments of his life beaufitully Jenny!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!

Related Posts with Thumbnails