September 23, 2010

monogrammed bucket bags for wee ones

As promised I am posting the first completed project. Tiny, monogrammed, bucket bags for SOME of my favorite, little gals. While I was cutting the fabric I had some interesting scrap cuts that I may just turn into an additional little frill so stay tuned.




Let me give credit where credit is due: I got the inspiration and the how-to's from this book "The Perfect Handmade Bag" and then I added the personalized detail with wool felt purchased from "The Heather Bailey Store" Heather has a great variety of fun colors.

The best purchases that have made my introductory to sewing so much easier are a large cutting mat, a rotary cutter and a large clear ruler. All can be found at your local fabric store and if you watch sale fliers and coupons you can get some good deals.

Supplies you will need for one bag:
2 pieces of main fabric and 2 pieces of lining fabric
each 10 1/2 x 8 1/4"

2 pieces of main fabric and 2 pieces of lining fabric
each 2 1/4 x 12" for handles

Tag

Thread

The book has great details on how to make your own. Check it out and sew up some great little personalized gifts for the bitty gals in your life. Then fill them with tiny treasures or goodies.



For Monogramming:
  1. Purchase felt that works well with the fabric color scheme
  2. Pick out a clean, block font on your computer
  3. Type out the initials you want to use and enlarge them to at least 250 pts. making sure they will comfortably fit on the face of the bag
  4. Outline the font and leave the inside white that way you're not wasting a lot of printer ink
  5. Lay the print over the felt and cut out the letter staying as close to the lines as possible
  6. Use fine tip scissors to get the corners sharp
  7. Use a steady hand when sewing the letter to the bag
  8. If you think you might accidentally shift the letter while sewing, angle it slightly and make it look intentional

Fun tip: I used the salvage edge of the red gingham fabric for the little tag on the side of the bag. It has a great fringed edge and gives the bag added personality.

As I was finishing the bags up last night my 3 yr. old son was stressing that he wanted a purse for himself. I told him I would make him a tool belt instead. He was okay with that but still insists that I make him a purse too!

Thanks for stopping by Blue Sky Confections. I hope you've been inspired.

Jenny K.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Jenny these are beautiful! You are such a creative genius. I am enjoying your blog so much. You are doing a great job with it!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!

Related Posts with Thumbnails