March 26, 2010

I spy a rainbow...


It's a rainy day here in VA so I thought I'd post a photo of a rainbow! ... and it's one you can eat! These are rainbow cookies. I had never heard of them until a friend of mine, originally from New York, mentioned that she had a craving for them. She was pregnant at the time and I thought it would be a nice gesture to whip up a batch. I found a recipe and set out to make these petite treats. They are a bit more difficult and time consuming than a standard cookie but well worth the time if you've got a special occasion coming up. Apparently these are a New York favorite and if you try them you'll know why. If you love almond flavored delicacies you'll enjoy these little delights. I would call them a "Petit Four" rather than a cookie. They have a bit of a cake like texture and they are quite rich. You can find the recipe here. I add a couple teaspoons of almond extract to the recipe in addition to the almond paste. Enjoy!!!

p.s. you could even switch the coloring up to reflect the time of year. Easter is around the corner and these would be beautiful in pale blues and yellows.

3 comments:

  1. I can not wait to make these for my mom's b-day. She loves almond paste and almond flavoring as much as me! Wow! Thanks for posting. I had never seen these before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. these look awesome jenny!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!

Related Posts with Thumbnails